Sunday, May 20, 2007

One month vegan

So I've been totally vegan for one month as of this past Saturday. It hasn't been at all difficult for the majority of the time. And even when it is hard, I just say "oh well, I can't eat that stuff because I'm eating vegan." And it's usually stuff I'm glad I didn't eat anyway.

My daily planner has been stuck with my friend who is moving from Amherst this week and without it the BDS is hard to do right. My response cards and gym schedule and everything is in that. I'm thinking about just holding off on doing a half-assed job without my planner, so once I get it I can go over everything and really work hard at it. I just hope I have the time to pick it up from my friend this week so I don't put off focusing on it more any longer. Daily planners are essential to the BDS for sure.

I've been exercising as much as I want to and tell myself I'm going to. It's great.

Weekend food highlights:

Saturday dinner: one month veganniversary! A veganized version of those KFC bowls: http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp Mine was with mashed root veggies (potatoes, turnips and parsnips), spinach, corn, chickpea gravy, Light Life chick'n strips breaded with whole wheat flour and panko bread crumbs, topped with Follow Your Heart cheddar style cheese.
An inside shot:


Sunday dinner: a mediocre attempt at baked corn dogs. This is a work in progress that will be revisited. Then along with that was green beans and mushrooms with chickpea gravy, sweet potato and parsnip baked fries with a creamy tomato-y dipping sauce, and roasted brussel sprouts.
Sunday dessert: homemade cinnamon maple pecan ice cream sandwiches! I finally put the ice cream sandwich maker my mom got me last year to use with the help of Nick's new ice cream maker. The sandwich part is made of a blondie from Vegan with a Vengeance.
To bring to work: really delicious chocolate chip cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance. Things like this make it harder to get fired! I had one last night and it was delicious. The secret ingredient is a tablespoon of molasses, shhhh.

Breakfast today: marinated and sauteed tempeh with avo, jalapenos, cukes, toms and red onion on a sprouted grain tortilla and cherries on the side.

Snack coming up: tamari almonds, mmmmm.

Lunch coming up: a mush of mashed root veggies, corn and spinach with chickpea gravy, leftover brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries, and Light Life strips with buffalo sauce.

Snack after that: strawberry jalapeno corn muffins I made this weekend and did not photograph. But I really should have. They are both pretty and delicious. The jalapeno is not very spicy (it probably could have used even more) and the flavor goes really well with the strawberries. This will definitely become a regular muffin.

No comments: