Monday, June 4, 2007

Cheeseless nachos: delicious blasphemy

I did something great last Friday. Nick and I went to dinner at one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants, Kate's Joint, just a coincidence. I was in the mood for nachos, but there non-dairy cheese has caseinate in it (not vegan). So I just ordered them without cheese, but that meant it still came with beans, salsa, shredded lettuce and vegan sour cream. It was totally delicious and healthier and I didn't miss the cheesiness at all.

I'm gonna start exercising again today after my week of being too sick. I biked some over the weekend, but nothing strenuous. Tonight I have a reservation for a spinning class at the gym. I hope I can pick it back up with ease. I also did 20 minutes of yoga this morning, which was good, but I'm not very good at it yet. I imagine it'll be better and more energizing once I know the moves and positions a little better.

I'm still working on re-reading the BDS. It's good. It's helping me stick to my healthy eating habits more easily, without me feeling stressed about "dieting" or anything. I put dieting in quotes because I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I just feel like I'm eating differently now. That's one thing I really am happy to have accomplished with the BDS book, the feeling of being okay with changing how I eat for the long term and not thinking about it as temporary and uncomfortable dieting until I've lost the weight I want to lose.

No pictures today, sorry.

Food log:

The weekend is too much to write about. I'll just start fresh with today.

Breakfast: two mini crustless tofu quiches (based off this recipe http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html) with asparagus, sundried tomato, carmelized onions and topped with a bit of veggie parm. I also had a quarter of what was a big whole wheat everything bagel with olive pimento tofu cream cheese and sliced tomato, about half of a Naked blue superfood juice, and tea.

Lunch: veggie burger made from Fantastic veggie burger mix with some taco mix, sesame seeds and liquid smoke thrown in on a sprouter grain english muffin with fat-free nayonaise, chopped cilantro, jalapenos, avocado and Gulden's mustard. On the side I had a salad with mixed greens, steamed broccoli, sauteed baby portobellas, toasted walnuts and a simple dressing of red wine vinegar, Bragg's and maple syrup. For dessert I had a cookie that Nick made (based on this recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/80114) shaped as USA and made with non-hydrogenated shortening to make it marginally more healthy.

Snack: nectarine and maybe some peanuts in the shell.

Dinner: I want to try making a miso soup with lots of veggies and maybe some tofu or some other protein, but I'll see if that's enough of a dinner for me after spinning.

No comments: