Thursday, June 7, 2007

Weekend eating out

This weekend I know I'll end up eating out a lot. Tonight I'm going to get something to eat before a concert in Manhattan. Tomorrow for brunch I am planning on trying the new vegetarian diner near my house with my friend who is visiting from out of town. Tomorrow night I'm going to a friend's barbecue. Sunday I'm going to the company barbecue at the boss's house. Luckily, but virtue of being vegan my menu is limited somewhat at most of these planned eating out events. But still, it's risky that I could be left ordering french fries tonight, and eating lots of potato chips at the barbecues. I want to make a rule for myself that I'm not allowed to eat any fried starches this weekend. I'm specifying starches because I might end up getting a fried protein thing like tofu or seitan tonight at dinner or tomorrow at lunch (but hopefully not both). Luckily this weekend is perfectly timed with the day in the BDS that specifically goes over the challenges with eating out. I think I should re-read this day in the book every day this weekend.

Food log:

Dinner last night: whole wheat angel hair with carrots, cilantro, lime juice, Earth Balance, shoyu and sriracha hot sauce; some tofu and baby bellas sauteed with shoyu and rice vinegar; and roasted brussels sprouts seasoned with veggie broth powder and black pepper.Dessert: I had a craving for chocolate cake so I made this uber-healthy looking recipe: http://dieflaschenpost.blogspot.com/2007/05/chocolate-cake.html I had a small piece and was somewhat disappointed. It tasted healthy, which didn't totally satisfy my chocolate cake craving. So I ate the last chocolate sandwich cookie, which was stale and totally not worth it. I was feeling down about this whole dessert situation. Then Nick came over and ate a huge slice of cake and promised me it didn't taste healthy at all and I felt better.
Breakfast today: sprouted grain english muffin with lemon pepper hummus and sprouts and half of a giant grape fruit.

Snack: tamari almonds.

Lunch: leftover pasta, tofu and brussel sprouts and the other half of the giant grape fruit.

Snack: piece of chocolate cake.

Dinner: my friend is a total omnivore and really enjoys a good hamburger, so I need to find a place that will have yummy and healthy vegan options that will also satisfy him. Too bad because I really wanted to check out this vegan asian place a block away from the concert. Hopefully I can sway him to try out a vegan restaurant that is very well reviewed.

No comments: