Monday, April 30, 2007

BDS day 11 and 13, bad weekend

I am so bad at BDSing over the weekend, so bad. I'm a weird mix of being too busy then wanting to relax whenever I'm not busy. I carried my book with me all day Sunday hoping that I would have a chance to read and take some notes, but I didn't open the book once. This is the perfect example of why I need to make time to diet. My mom had the idea of going over my BDS stuff Friday evenings, which is probably a good idea in most cases. This last Friday I had about five minutes in between coming home from work and going out again, but that isn't the case on most Fridays. And hopefully all weekends won't be so ridiculously busy. If I need to, and I probably do, I will start setting my alarm for an earlier (but still pretty late) time on the weekends so I know I'll have time to work on meal planning and exercising before I need to start weekend activities.

Day 11 is learning to differentiate between hunger, desire and cravings. I'm doing the notes in the book before lunch. It's about 11:30 am and I'm trying to wait until 1pm to eat, but I already wrote up a note about how my stomach is feeling before lunch since I'm already hungry! I felt the need to recognize I was hungry but also reflect on it not being all that bad. I will write up more as lunch gets closer.

Day 13, dealing with cravings, is going to take a few days of focus I think. I'm bad with giving into cravings, but I also might not really get any today if I'm busy or satisfied with what I brought to work to eat. I need to keep this in mind. I think I'll write up a cravings card full of key advantages response things and a few other techniques for dealing with cravings.

Day 12 is skipping lunch. I came down with a cold this weekend so I think I'm going to put this off until Thursday when I'm feeling better and I know I have to walk somewhere during lunch, which will help to distract me.

Weekend food highlights:

Friday night: I drank beer even though I explicitly said I wasn't going to. I got a snack of homemade pita and hummus at a restaurant, fairly healthy but pita was white flour and what not. Late at night I had two slices of a personal pizza with no cheese and olives. Like the hummus, white flour instead of whole wheat like I would have at home. It was all bad stuff, but not the worst and certainly far from total slippage.

Saturday brunch: I went to a non-vegan friendly brunch spot with a friend and got chickpea salad with watercress and homefries. The salad had too much oil on it, but was good. I didn't feel deprived.

Snack: Naked brand green superfood juice. It was really good and it made me feel full. I went to Coney Island with some friends and they all got hotdogs and I didn't get anything. I was very proud.

Dinner: a very mediocre veggie burger at a restaurant with a giant white bun with guac, jalapeƱos, onion, lettuce and ketchup. It had fries with it but I managed to eat only a few and give the rest away. I was pretty full at the end, probably more than I needed to be.

Sunday brunch: so good. Tofu scramble with tons of veggies and a grilled little corn muffin. Very satisfying and healthy.

Snack: I baked up a batch of blueberry corn muffins with fresh blueberries. I like the recipe I go off of because the muffins come out fairly small. I had one warm for a snack. It was delicious.

Sunday dinner: so great. Homemade veggie burgers made with lentals and wheat gluten on sprouted grain english muffins with homemade ketchup (so good!), avocado, red onion, jalapeƱos, and mixed greens. On the side there was homemade chipotle sweet potato fries with some of that delicious homemade ketchup and greens with garlic (a little too oily, but okay).

Dessert: another blueberry corn muffin. I probably didn't need this, but it was reasonably healthy.

Food log:

Breakfast today: I was starving this morning before work since I woke up earlier than usual to do some pilates. I had one muffin at home then had another one at work with a cup of green tea.

Planned lunch: a roll-up on a sprouted grain tortilla of homemade basil-roast garlic-lima bean spread with oven roasted eggplant, red and green peppers and mixed greens.

Planned snack: leftover sweet potato fries with yummy homemade ketchup and leftover greens.

Planned dinner: another homemade veggie burger on sprouted grain muffin. Toppings undecided.

I need to make sure I eat fairly light today since I canceled my plans to go spinning later in order to get over my cough. I'll work with the book a lot today to make up for slacking over the weekend and to help me get through lighter eating.

No comments: