Friday, April 27, 2007

BDS day 10, corn muffins

Day 10 sounds simple, but I'm actually finding it harder than I expected. "Set a realistic goal" The problem here is that I'm already petite, I have probably a total of ten pounds to lose max, but if I'm setting goals within the 3 pound range, that sort of weight loss/gain fluctuates from day to day based on water weight, what I've eaten, etc. I'm going to say I want to lose five pounds because that is at the point where I know I'm really losing the weight I want to be losing, but that is actually about 4% of my body weight and maybe that's unrealistic. I don't know. I need to stew on this to the end of the day.

I have some other stressful things going on in my life right now and it's the first real test of if I can stick to eating healthy while being stressed. The book goes through this extensively, but in the madness of stress it can be easy to forget everything. Being stressed about one thing in my life makes me want to give up on everything else that I'm trying to improve in my life. I need to not do this, obviously, but I also want to try to work on applying BDS techniques to everything else. I need to learn to stick with the things I know I really care about when I'm stressed out.

Food log:

Snack/dinner: baby bok choy sauteed with Braggs, lemon and sriracha hot sauce.

Snack/dinner part 2: Silk Live mango smoothie thing.

Snack/dinner part 3: air-popped popcorn with vegan butter flavored spray with negligible calories and nutritional yeast (lots of b vitamins!) and a homemade corn muffin. Clearly, I made several attempts at dinner last night. I just wasn't hungry and I was busy catching up with a friend over some herbal tea. Suddenly it was 9:15 pm and I haven't really eating much of anything in the way of dinner and I started craving corn muffins. So I decided to have a snacky dinner of fairly healthy cheesey tasting popcorn and I made vegan low-sugar corn muffins from scratch. I used splenda instead of sugar, but there was a fair amount of oil in the batter (1/3 or 1/2 cup of canola oil, I forget which). I need to learn how to do lower-fat baking. I added the zest of one lemon and that made them a little more special. They were also pretty small sized muffins. I ate only one warm with some non-hydrogenated margarine. Very good.

Breakfast today: two little lemon corn muffins, warmed up, no margarine.

Lunch today: pasta with Light Life faux chicken strips and broccoli and seasoned with Braggs, tahini and sriracha. Five dried prunes for dessert.

Snack: cup of coffee black with one french vanilla flavored Splenda packet.

What I have waiting: baby lima beans with roasted garlic, parsley, adobo, pepper and non-hydro margarine and a dinner out. For dinner I get to choose a vegan or vegan-friendly restaurant since I'm going out with some pretty liberal people, one of whom is already vegetarian. My picks all have pretty healthy vegan options so hopefully I won't stray from the healthier choices on the menu.

Tonight I might be going out to a bar with some friends. I want to make sure that I order cocktails with diet soda, as much as I love a good beer, because I just know that is as healthy as I can get while drinking alcohol. It'll be tricky to do and even harder to read the advantages response card in a public place with low-lighting if I feel tempted. Hopefully my will power will be strong enough to survive it.

No comments: