Wednesday, April 25, 2007

BDS day 8, vegan exercising

I'm staying on Day 8 today to do some more planning with my time management. Last night I reviewed the first 7 days and made sure I really went through everything. I even scribbled some notes in the book. It's a lot to keep track of, so I think it'll be a good idea to review what I've done so far every week, but I will probably make time to do this on Sundays since that is usually my errands/chores day. Today I'm going to plan my exercise and social activities and errands/chores for the next week and a half as best as I can.

So last night I took my first spinning class in a month and did my first really intense cardio session since beginning to eat vegan. I was worried I would get wiped out easily from changing my eating and eating a little less. I've also had a lot of people ask if I've been feeling tired since I started eating vegan. To my surprise, it went great. I maintained pretty steady energy through the 45 minute class and kept up with my co-worker who I went with and is in great shape. Then I slept better than usual and woke up early this morning to do a short pilates tape. I'm feeling a little more tired now, but I'm still pretty exhilarated at how easy it has been to get back into exercising while eating a very different diet.

Food log:

Yesterday lunch: my cabbage salad, but it was accidentally without a dressing and really disappointing. I went out and bought a bottle of dressing, but store bought dressing sucks and it was higher in oil and calories than a dressing I would make. I was so disappointed that I added a soy yogurt onto my lunch to make me feel better. I know I shouldn't have done any unplanned eating, but it was relatively healthy and did make me feel better.

Snack: chickpea salad with fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, scallions, parsley, tahini and lemon. Really good. It was pretty high in fat from all the tahini, but it was so filling and satisfying. It really kept me going through spinning and not eating dinner until 9 pm.

Dinner: spinach and soy cheese quesadilla on another delicious sprouted grain tortilla with homemade salsa. Simple but really satisfying. I ate it slowly and savored it.

Dessert: none! I realized I didn't need it and I shouldn't eat it just because I told myself that I'm allowed to eat dessert. I went to bed satisfied without it.

Breakfast today: a really good tempeh sandwich. I made my sandwich extra delicious today so I wouldn't be tempted to eat any of the food ordered for the monthly firm-wide breakfast meeting. It had tempeh, avocado, cucumbers, lettuce, salsa, pickled jalapeƱos and racaito (cilantro seasoning/sauce stuff) on a pita half. I felt confident this was much better than a mediocre bagel and cream cheese. I also had a few pieces of fruit from the fruit salad for the breakfast. It was a nice treat.

What I have waiting: another napa cabbage salad (hopefully more satisfying this time), peanut butter and apricot spread in a little sprout grain tortilla, and chickpea salad. I might have to do another quesadilla for dinner. I'm obsessed with those tortillas.

Website for the company that makes the tortillas and other presumably delicious bread and pasta products: http://www.foodforlife.com/ They sell them at a natural foods store in my neighborhood but I don't know where else. I'll check Whole Foods and Trader Joe's soon.

No comments: