Monday, April 23, 2007

BDS days 4 and 5, vegan cupcakes

I've slowed down this weekend since I was busy and I couldn't devote the time I wanted to towards the BDS. I did day 4 and 5 at the same time over three days. I found giving myself credit for what I do right has been really helpful. I even use it as a reason to choose to right eating behavior. I'll say to myself "I'll be proud of myself and be able to give myself positive credit if I don't eat that." Eating slowly and mindfully is a little harder, so I do that by recognizing I'm eating too fast and giving myself a minute break or so.

This weekend I didn't eat super healthy, but I did eat much better than I usually do on weekend when I'm not eating healthy. For example, late Saturday night a friend and I got an order of french fries from a place near my house and there were still french fries left when we both decided we were done with them. This wouldn't have happened two weeks ago. I would have eaten them until they were gone. I recognized I was full and satisfied and I just stopped eating them. It was bad that I ate them at all, but at the same time I was good about not eating them all.

My major vegan success this weekend was making three dozen delicious vegan cupcakes then inviting people over to enjoy them. I made one dozen banana split cupcakes (banana cake, peanut butter frosting, drizzle of chocolate ganache, walnuts, banana slices and a cherry), orange chocolate cupcakes (orange choco cake, orange cream filling, choco ganache) and chocolate cookies and cream cupcakes (choco cake, cookie buttercream frosting, half of a cookie on top). I took pictures that I will post eventually. Also, I only ate 2 1/2 cupcakes over the entire weekend, even though they were totally delicious. I realized the fewer cupcakes I ate the more I enjoyed the ones I did eat.

Weekend food highlights:

Saturday brunch: vegan huevos rancheros with tofu scramble, black beans, soy cheese, salsa on crispy whole wheat tortilla with a few fries (bad) and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice from the veggie restaurant Kate's Joint.

Saturday dinner: vegan tacos that I only ate two of. I love tacos and I love them just as much when I only eat two rather than my usual four or something. I also made some pretty good homemade salsa for this.

Sunday breakfast and lunch: a multigrain bagel with veggie tofu spread and tomatoes, cukes and red onions. Half for breakfast and half for lunch.

Snack: all fruit smoothie.

Dinner: taco salad on napa cabbage.

I want to try to update this in the afternoons Monday through Friday so I can keep track of what I'm eating. Half blog, half food log. I think it'll be helpful.

No comments: