Monday, July 16, 2007

zucchini diet

I got a whole boat load of zucchini from my farm share this past week, so yesterday I spent all day in the kitchen determined to use it up. And I made a few other things.
-zucchini bread from the New Soul Vegetarian Cookbook, made with whole wheat flour and turbinado sugar (per the recipe) and I cut the oil in half and made up for it with apple sauce. It turned out really well.
-stuffed zucchini with corn and dill (both also from farm share) from Vegan Planet. It had a good flavor, but didn't hold up very well, especially since I dropped the tupperware holding it...
-black beans and brown rice mix with leftover stuffing from stuffed zucchini.
-brown rice pizza from Vive le Vegan where you smush sticky brown rice into a spring form pan and bake it for a bit, then treat it like a pizza crust and top it. I topped with a homemade kale and hoisin tomato sauce, roasted zukes and peppers, olive, and some veggie parm.
-tofu quiche from the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog with zucchini, (farm share) onions and red peppers.
-olive and walnut tapenade recipe from Vive le Vegan. It's pretty good, but I think I'd like any tapenade because I love olives.
-vegan pâté from How It All Vegan. I was surprised by how delicious it is. I think it's the first recipe I've made from this book where I was really shocked by how good it was.

I was so motivated by all the healthy food I made, that I decided to be extra healthy and get up early this morning to do a 7am spinning class. I was sleeping during the class, but I'm feeling good now.

Food log:

Pre-spin class snack: two smallish zucchini bread muffins.

Breakfast: zucchini tofu quiches and a grapefruit.

Lunch: brown rice pizza and a lemon Larabar.

Late afternoon snack: stuffed zucchini, pâté maybe on a pilfered piece of bread from the work fridge (was going to buy crackers but left wallet at home) and a green apple.

Late dinner: I'm thinking beans and rice with some steamed broccoli and sautéed Soyboy smoked tofu (really yummy in small doses) and a low carb tortilla/wrap thing.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Wow I love what you did with your dark green goodness.