Monday, July 9, 2007

Back on track!

I need to get back on track! I've been getting really busy at work, so I haven't had as much time to blog during work, and I try to spend as much time out of work away from a computer. But because of the lack of blogging and diet tracking, I'm gaining some weight back. I need to make time to think more about my eating and read more of the BDS book, but it's hard when any spare time I might have I just want to sit on my couch with my kitties and watch a movie.

So shortly after I stopped blogging, about 2 weeks ago, I decided I wanted to train for a running/biking duathlon. I've never been a runner ever. So I started doing things like going to the gym before work and running two miles or sometimes running a mile after a spinning class. After a week and a half of this, it was made clear to me I was doing way too much too soon and my knees were mad at me for it. Bad knees run in the family and I need to take it especially slow if I want to be able to run. I took some time off from running, but was still doing spinning and other stuff. The knee ache was lessening, but not entirely gone. I thought I might be able to do some gentle jogs this week. Then last night during kickball I collided with another player and was thrown to the ground with the immediately noticable injuries of a scraped up back and a bumped up head. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I noticed my left knee was not feeling okay either. This is really frustrating. Deciding to do a short duathlon really gave me a focus with my exercise. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to do one, but if I can, probably not anytime soon. Maybe aim for next spring? I hope so.

Food log:

Breakfast: one flax waffle with Soy Garden and maple syrup, a kiwi and a cup of tea.

Lunch: sauteed swiss chard, bok choy and zucchini mixed up with some non-hydrog Tofutti sour cream and salsa on a low-carb (but yummy I swear) tortilla. Homemade baklava for dessert, too much sugar and Soy Garden, but made with whole wheat filo so it's ever so slightly healthier. And I only brought myself a small amount to work to control myself, which is difficult to do around large amount of baklava.

Snack: whole wheat pasta with some Soy Garden, veggie parm, sundried tomatoes, balsamic-soy tempeh and lots of fresh ground pepper.

Dinner: I have no idea yet. I want to use up more stuff from the fridge and freezer before I do a shopping next, so I think what I make will be determined by what calls to me when I open up the fridge and freezer and stare.

Dessert: probably more baklava, but hopefully not too much!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I know how bad injuries can be. I myself went through all kinds of lower leg injuries from running. Just take it easy and seek medical help if it gets bad.